This position may be filled at a level 1, 2 or 3 depending upon experience. Please visit our careers page at:
https://www.savingsbank.com/careers.html to view all open positions and complete job descriptions.
Job Title: Bookkeeper 1 - Adjustment Clerk
Department: Central Services - Main Office in Ukiah
Reports To: Central Services Manager
Equal Employment Opportunity
Savings Bank of Mendocino County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and employment selections are based on merit, qualifications and abilities. Savings Bank of Mendocino County will consider all qualified applicants for employment and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of: age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, disability, or any other status protected by law.
Under the direction of the Central Services Manager, handles incoming and outgoing check adjustments. Check adjustment areas include missing cash letters, listing errors, duplicate entries, missing bundles, encoding errors, missing items, late returns, photos in lieu or original, and other debits and credits from other financial institutions. This position also performs a variety of daily Central Services functions. Works well in cooperation with others for the benefit of the organization. Establishes effective working relationships with customers and staff members. Displays and promotes a positive and participative approach to problem solving. Handles sensitive situations in a calm, objective manner. Effectively participates with team members to meet performance goals. Communicates tactfully and professionally with all customers and contacts.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Regular and predictable attendance and punctuality.
- Initiates and responds to Check, IRD, PIL, Draft and ICL adjustment issues, using Fedline for the Web and other Bank Systems, as they arise with the Federal Reserve Bank and other financial institutions.
- Responsible for preparation, documentation and balancing of daily Outgoing FED Check Returns.
- Reviews various reports including the FED reconcilement report, Unadjusted Debits and Unadjusted Credits report, Bank of America reconcilement report and Interoffice report for further action required in resolving outstanding check adjustments.
- Provides Source of Receipts as necessary in the processing and adjustment of outstanding items to other financial institutions and the Federal Reserve Bank.
- Responsible for follow-up correspondence and phone contact in the collection of outstanding adjustment items.
- Maintains a filing system and log for research and adjustment items.
- Responsible for weekly review, correspondence and maintenance of dormant DDA and SAV accounts.
- Assists with preparation of Annual Escheatment to the State of California of all DDA, SAV, CDs, IRAs, Official Bank Checks and Safe Deposit Boxes.
- Processes Large Item Return Notifications through Fedline for the Web.
- Provides coverage for Research Requests, Legal Process and Statement Management.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience Requirements
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) required.
- One year banking or bookkeeping experience preferred.
Minimum Typing Speed Required
25 wpm or higher keyboarding speed and familiarity with 10-key pad.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating instructions, procedure manuals, policies and memorandums.
- Ability to write routine correspondence and communicate effectively and tactfully, orally and in writing with employees, customers, vendors and management.
- Must possess the ability to speak clearly so others can understand.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar.
- Bilingual skills desirable.